Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Marriage Equality in Texas

              Equality seems to be an issue in more than one sense right now in Texas. One major aspect troubling Texas that needs to be addressed is marriage equality. I was very interested in the point raised in Jaren Lynch's blog titled, Gay-Marriage Equality in Texas. The point Jaren raises is that no matter straight or gay it's unconstitutional to deny someone the right to marry the person they love. I completely agree with this argument and am glad to see people fighting for their rights. I live with my girlfriend currently and if we decided to marry and were denied by the law of the state we live in that would be extremely upsetting.
              One argument I could think to raise would be, I don't believe that states should have laws banning same-sex marriage if the national government must already recognize same-sex marriage anyway. Our fore-fathers wrote the US Constitution with the intention of making a nation built off of Equality and that is what every American should be fighting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment